Tuesday, February 3, 2009

When Does the Empathy Kick In?

Let me get this straight. You care for and nurture your kids from the time they are in the womb, through infancy and toddlerhood. You give them everything, prepare them for the world and make sure they are happy and healthy. And then, you get a sinus infection that makes you feel like your head will explode and they cannot give you one moment to rest.

My son is six (7 in a few months). He is just a great, funny kid. But the one thing that I cannot get over is that he has no empathy...at least not with his own family. Last week my husband was sick but, of course, still going to work and doing all the things that need to be done. He comes home from work and Zach insists that he has to help him build his Lego ship. And Jeff just wants to lay down on the couch for a half hour but Zach just starts screaming at the suggestion that Jeff might want a few minutes to himself.

I have had many conversations about this with Zach but I'm not sure if it's something that can be taught. In the back of my mind I think that I should probably give him ways to help his Dad or me when we don't feel well or just need a break...maybe that would help. But I don't always want to think this hard. I just wish he could understand that his parents have needs, too.

I would love to hear from others who may have suggestions or thoughts on empathy. Right now, I'm going to lay down so that my head doesn't explode.

Cheers,
Renay

No comments: