Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Keeping Kids Busy in Winter

My husband and I had a conversation this past weekend about trying to keep kids active in the snowy New England winters. It's not easy, especially when the temps go down to 15 degrees, making outdoor play, skiing, etc. almost impossible. And if you choose not to spend $200+ to sign up for some kind of regular class, it's even harder. We have been through all of the indoor playgrounds, as well.

So, I was thinking how great it would be if there were some kind of "drop-in" arts n' crafts type of place with different stations for art projects. In an ideal world, parents could work on the craft with their child and there would also be a lounge with yummy treats, Starbuck's coffee and a huge window so that you could watch your children as they create their masterpieces. What a great business idea, huh? Over time, we could add a music lounge where children could practice on different instruments with the help of a music instructor.

Just an idea but something fun to think about. In the meantime, I will don my snow pants, sled and pray for 30 degrees.

Cheers,
Renay

2 comments:

Scott said...

Debbie has come up with a similar idea - a 'high end' rec center almost. If you have a rink in your backyard '30 degrees' are bad words! We like 15 much better. If you are looking for something (else) to do outside you and your family are welcome to try skating on the Four-em ice. We are relatively normal; and I love it when new people use the ice. No pressure.

Renay said...

Yes! That's exactly the kind of thing we need. I just checked out the pictures of your rink...that is very cool! Thank you for the offer. Out of the 4 of us, the only one who knows how to skate is my husband. I never learned and my 3-year old is not a huge fan of the cold. She prefers her hot chocolate while watching her brother from inside!