Sunday, February 22, 2009

My New Gig

It's now official; I have accepted a new job and I'm very excited about it. I had previously written about my layoff and it was tough to get past it. But once I was past it, I realized that what I had helped build had disappeared well before I was laid off. Now, I am able to look back on the earlier days of that experience as being incredibly rich; I learned so much while I was there, helped to build a company and was able to enjoy its success.

I was also able to stay home for a while and enjoy my children. I got to spend a lot more time with them, help Zach with his homework and be more involved in their day-to-day lives. This was so wonderful. But I also know that I'm just not a stay-at-home Mom type. I am a much better parent when I am out working and being challenged. It energizes me and I believe that that happiness and energy translates to my parenting role and to my kids.

I am very excited about my new opportunity. It is a broad marketing role which I love and I will be working for a small company that is pretty close to home. Best of all, the culture seems great and I have really liked everyone I have met so far. I am a bit nervous about being on a specific schedule since I was pretty much able to set my own schedule in the past without issue. But that's hopefully just an adjustment that will easily work out.

To all Moms who go through the ups and downs of being a working mother...we role with the punches, figure out how to make it work and most importantly, ensure that our situations work for our families. It's tough and we don't have much help out there - hats off to all of us.

Cheers,
Renay

No comments: