Saturday, January 2, 2010

TV Choices

Happy New Year! Yes, it's 2010 and I'm still up to my old tricks...staying up ridiculously late, looking stuff up online, catching up on Facebook, etc. But today Zach, my 7-year old, asked me something that has me thinking...

I have written before about the TV dilemma; which shows should I let him watch? And then if he's watching an "older kids show," what about my 4-year old who inevitably watches with him?

Today, Zach asked me if our PBS channel only had "baby shows." I told him that I do not think so but apparently, the kids at school do. Quite frequently, he wants to watch "X-Men" and other related shows. While I will occasionally let him watch those, I often do not allow it since some of them seem violent.

But am I babying him? We have begun letting him see movies that are a bit more grown up but since he watches some TV almost every day, I feel like I really need to oversee the shows he is watching. When I hear him make comments like this to me, I start feeling guilty, like maybe I'm too overprotective and need to let him make a few more choices.

So tough...it's amazing that our kids don't come with instructions. I wish I had some! I welcome any thoughts you have on this subject.

Cheers,
Renay

No comments: