Friday, September 26, 2008

Always On

As I sit here on the train with my laptop + broadband card, Blackberry at the ready, sitting next to my husband, it strikes me that we are always connected. I thought that it was great when my boss gave me a shiny new broadband card (at my prompting, by the way) so that I could now do work during my commute. But I recognize that I just sacrificed something...that short space of time that I have to myself before getting to the office and at the end of the day.

Yet I feel addicted. Why? What goes through my head is, "If I can just get through these emails now, then I will have a much clearer day to attack my projects." In that sense, it is helpful but the reality is that I have no downtime during my day.

This, of course, is after I ran out of the house this morning after writing checks for my son's magazine subscription for school, making lunch, and doing all of my Mommy stuff.

I know that I need to better manage my stress. Maybe I should just return the broadband card to my IT Manager...better yet, just lock it away for the weekend.

Cheers!
Renay

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, as it's been over a month, did you throw away the broadband card or just redistribute the little downtime of the day? At least you're on a train and not driving while texting (applying eyemakeup used to be the big traffic worry, now it's network-traffic!)

Another option is to do what John mistakenly did, twice. Work/Check-In...... near water ! TWO Blackberries got fried while cleaning the pool and also by giving the kids a bath. Instant Electronic Death!

Renay- Useful and insightful site- Keep it updated and send out reminder when new posts! SCONGIU