Monday, May 12, 2008

Are you a control freak?

I am. Don't believe me? Here are some examples:
  • I have been known to stand next to my daughter while she's eating so that I can quickly wipe the dripping food from her mouth.
  • I don't let my husband fold my laundry because I don't like how he does it.
  • I practically knocked a colleague out of the way when he was putting up holiday decorations for an office party because I didn't like where he was placing them.

Think I'm nuts? I'll bet some of my readers would be able to relate to these stories. I tell you about my obsessive tendencies because I have been able to overcome them in small ways. I find that by letting go of one thing at a time, it makes things less overwhelming.

If you delegate one thing at work this week, you will get a feel for letting go. And then maybe next week, you can choose not to freak out when your little girl has to wear her princess t-shirt for the third day in a row. And then the week after that, you can zip your mouth when your husband puts the dishes away in the wrong places even though he has used the same things in the same cabinets forever.

Hey, I said I was trying to let go but I don't have to be happy about it all the time.

Cheers!

No comments: